Greg Lance – Watkins
Pioglitazone: Too often ending in bladder cancer?
January 14, 2017 – Is there an increased risk of bladder cancer with pioglitazone-containing medicines? Some (most) drug regulatory agencies worldwide do think so. However, the actions taken vary considerably. The example of the French ANSM (L’Agence nationale de sécurité du médicament et des produits de santé en France) is at one end of the possibilities of actions on could take. In 2011 already, based on the results of an extended epidemiological study (published in 2012) conducted in France which suggested an increased risk of bladder cancer with pioglitazone, the ANSM suspended the use of the pioglitazone-containing medicines (i.e., Actos and Competact) in France.
At the same time in 2011 when the American Food & Drug Administration (FDA) was also fully aware of this epidemiological study conducted in France, FDA resorted to a Safety Communication on June 15, 2011, which in fact was an update of an Safety Communication in 2010 on an “Ongoing Safety Review of Actos (pioglitazone) and Potential Increased Risk of Bladder Cancer After Two Years Exposure” only. Similarly, at the same time the European Medicines Agency (EMA) was in the process of reviewing all available data on pioglitazone-containing medicines use and re-analyze the risk / benefit ratio shortly, while Germany’s Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) at least recommended not to start pioglitazone-containing medicines in new patients. Consequently, in very big markets worldwide, patients remained on pioglitazone-containing medicines and the associated risk for bladder cancer.
And here we go again: On December 12, 2016, FDA has concluded in a Drug Safety Communication, referring to an updated FDA-review of data indicating that there exist an increased risk of bladder cancer with pioglitazone-containing medicines, which currently include, in the US Actos, Actoplus Met, Actoplus Met XR, Duetact, and Oseni. The drug labels of these medicines already contain warnings about the risk of bladder cancer, and FDA has approved label updates to describe the additional studies reviewed.
The question remains if just analyzing data and adjusting drug labels by the FDA is sufficient to protect patients from the risks of getting bladder cancer. In the light of still additional and very serious adverse effects of, for example Actos, there arises the question if FDA should not simply ban pioglitazone-containing medicines and in doing so saving thousands of patients from suffering form bladder cancer. Bladder cancer definitively is no feat. Generally, protecting patients from unintended suffering brought about by medications should be at center stage not at FDA alone, but at all registration authorities worldwide. Whether that is really the case in context of pioglitazone is at least in doubt.
The fact that the manufacturer settles legal cases of patients (or their families) who have connected their bladder cancer condition with taking piaglitazone-containing medications for millions of dollars indicates that enormous economic interest are associated with these medicines. It it unlikely that the manufacturer pays these sums in favor of the individual patient who suffered and in acknowledgement of the sometimes fatal deficiencies of their product. Its seems more a measure to get the product out of sight of negative marketing and news.
To view the original of this article CLICK HERE
Related articles across the web
- Actos Bladder Cancer Settlement Announced
- Takeda Worried About Actos’s Cancer Link, Filing Shows – Bloomberg
- Actos and a Bladder Cancer Risk?
- Diabetes Drug Bladder Cancer Risk Questioned by New Study
- Urgent warning about Actos for all type 2 diabetics
- Actos for diabetes? Medical societies respond to the FDA’s safety announcement on the use of Actos
- Diabetes drugs prescribed to more than 15 million Americans raises risk of bladder cancer
- No link found between bladder cancer, use of pioglitazone or rosiglitazone, Avandia
- Actos (pioglitazone) Uses, Side Effects, Dosage, Interactions, Effectiveness
- Pioglitazone, Not Rosiglitazone, Again Tied to Bladder Cancer
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
ABOUT ME, Details & Links: CLICK HERE
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Summary & archive, facts & comments on Ukip: http://Ukip-vs-EUkip.com
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Leave-The-EU Referendum & BreXit Process CLICK HERE
Documents, Essays & Treaties: CLICK HERE
The Hamlet of Stroat: CLICK HERE
Data & The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: CLICK HERE
Chepstow Chat: CLICK HERE
Christopher Story: CLICK HERE
Des Watkins DFC; CdeG: CLICK HERE/
Hollie Greig etc.: CLICK HERE
Psycheocracy: CLICK HERE
The McCann Case: CLICK HERE
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
A Concept of Governance Worthy of Developement: CLICK HERE
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I do NOT believe in prolonging human life beyond reasonable expectation of sentient participatory intellectual existence
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
- I try to make every effort to NOT infringe copyrights in any commercial way & make all corrections of fact brought to my attention by an identifiable individual
Re-TWEET my Twitterings